Nestopia is a portable NES/Famicom emulator written in C++.
Nestopia UE (Undead Edition) is a '90s inspired GUI build of the Nestopia emulator for win32, Linux, and BSD.
May 19, 2021
Back to the '90s
This release is dedicated to the best decade there ever was. The NES was a system from the '80s, but it did catch the
ninja craze and most of us were playing it in the '90s anyway, both because it was still a great console and because our
parents had beef with the cost of games. There was great music,
and the sense that there was no limit to how awesome the future was
going to be. For the first time, you could quickly communicate with people around the world, a monumental thing at the time,
though often bittersweet if you were on AOL. Maybe you were a
loser in highschool, but you were
cool online. If you weren't alive at that time, you
missed a million miles of fun!
To celebrate the '90s, Nestopia's Linux port was moved to FLTK and oldschool OpenGL 1.x. This makes it look and feel like
a vanilla Windows 95 program...
not that there's anything wrong with that. The change should really
pump up performance on older systems. GTK was also driving me
insane, and despite all my rage,
they continue to avoid fixing broken features.
For a '90s style program, I highly recommend FLTK. It's ugly but it works. It gives me a reliable, slow-moving target
and is simple enough that it takes little effort to work with if I want to build new features. Best yet, OpenGL is a
first class citizen, and you can even use modern OpenGL without any problems. Check it out, it is way more capable than
it seems. You'll be forever in debt to my priceless advice.
Things were better in the '90s. Celebrate better times through emulation!
Devs on Acid - When "progress" is backwards
STLWRT - A library which emulates many versions of GTK and visually resembles GTK+ 2
Fast Light Toolkit
Nestopia UE officially supports:
If you're a Windows user, download the win32 build:
Linux and BSD Binaries
The following distributions have packages (or builds) available:
If you want a source tarball, download it here:
This is the best way to get the latest source code:
git clone git://github.com/0ldsk00l/nestopia
- Merged the win32 sources back into the main codebase
- Change versioning scheme
- Avoid possible trademark infringement in controller image
- Switch from GTK to FLTK for Linux/BSD port
- Use Legacy OpenGL (Compatibility Profile)
- Mappers 306, 307, 312
- Convert many UNIF boards to NES 2.0 mappers
- Use Nestopia core from jgemu
- Timing and other accuracy fixes for CPU/APU
- Revert changes that caused regressions
- Fix Camerica mapper for Dooly Bravo Land
- Improve MMC5 emulation for Sim City
- Fix 8K PRG NROM games such as Galaxian
- Full implementation of mapper 156
- Fix SOROM saving/loading
- Fix FDS IRQ behaviour
- Improve RAMBO-1 timing
- Fix support for Korean Igo (Korea) (Unl)
- Implement mirroring for UNL-KOF97
- Rewrite NAMCOT-175 and NAMCOT-340
- Assign UNL-CC-21 to mapper 27 and fix CHR bank swapping